Jharkhand has played phenomenal cricket in the ongoing season of Vijay Hazare trophy. But on Friday morning, they were in shock when a fire broke out at their team hotel in Dwarka.
Around 6:20 am, the cricketers saw a thick smoke around their rooms. During a chat with Sportstar, Ishan Kishan said. “We were just about to wake up when this happened. After huge smoke engulfed the room, we could hardly breathe. There was no electricity and the lobby was completely dark. That was really scary."
Ishan was the captain of India's U-19 team in the World Cup 2015. Describing the horrifying incidence, he said, “We had an important match in the morning, so the players were a bit under pressure. But this sudden incident was so scary. For a moment, we thought that it would be impossible to get out of the room."
As the players were unable to find the exit way in the darkness, skipper MS Dhoni calmed down the nerves of the players. Talking about the same, Ishan said, “Even Mahi bhai was unable to come out of his room. We really did not know what to do. I have never seen such a thing before. Even as we came out of the rooms, we could not see anything. Everything was dark. We had to leave all our gears behind."
He further added, “There were security issues, so we decided to hit the ground, regroup and then return back to the hotel. I have traveled to quite a few places, but have never faced such a situation before."
Ishan also asserted that the players were so shocked that they left their playing gear and other equipment in the room itself. He said, “Our kits bag and all the gears are in perfect condition. Now, it is important that we overcome the shock and focus on the semifinal, which has been postponed to Saturday."
The Jharkhand State Cricket Association (JSCA) officials have contacted with the team management to make sure that the players were unaffected. A senior official said, “We are in constant touch with the players and the situation is under control now. We are monitoring the situation."
Saurabh Tiwary described the horrifying incidence during a chat with Wisden India, he said, “We don’t know when the fire broke out, but when we woke up at 6.30am there was so much smoke that we all ran from there. Everyone was in a panic. It was full chaos, and the fire alarm also did not go off. So, me, (MS) Dhoni bhaiya, and the rest had to run down from the ninth floor. A few others were housed in the seventh floor also. When fire breaks smoke rises up and that made visibility an issue. There was no one to save us, so we all ran for our lives.”